Valentine’s Day occurs every February 14. Across Ghana and in other places around the world, candy, flowers and gifts are exchanged between loved ones, all in the name of St. Valentine. This year’s Vals day will not be characterized with the usual clubbing and eating in restaurants because of the measures taken to curb the spread of Covid 19. Loved ones are to find creative means of making the day memorable to them.
The season of love is around the corner and it is time for celebration. Yes, Valentine’s Day is nearing and it is the perfect opportunity to express your love and affection towards your husband or wife. Cherish the unconditional love by presenting him or her with special valentine gifts. Your partner is someone who stood by you through thick and thin, is someone who never left you even in the most difficult times in your life. It is the perfect chance to say thank you for being your guide, protector, best friend, and therapist.
let’s head to the kitchen and cook that special Valentine Fried Rice for your partner.
- Butter… 50g
- Beaten Eggs… 3pcs
- Onions.. 2pcs
- Spring Onion … 50g
- Carrots… 50g
- Green pepper.. 50g
- Bell Pepper(red & yellow) .. 100g
- Cayenne Pepper.. 1tsp
- Ginger… 1tbsp
- Garlic… 1tbsp
- White Pepper. Pinch
- Black Pepper… Pinch
- Dark Soy sauce… 2tbsp
- Thyme.. 1tsp
- Salt… to taste
- Regular long grain rice/Basmati rice.. 500g
1. Put a clean saucepan with a lid on fire, add water, dark soy sauce, thyme, ginger, garlic, onion, butter and salt. Then bring to boil
2. Wash and add rice, stir and cover and allow it to cook on moderate heat for 15 to 20min and allow it to cool
3. To begin with the Fried Rice, add oil into the saucepan on medium heat, followed by eggs, then additional butter, chopped onions, carrots, bell pepper, the white part of spring onions.
4. Add in Cayenne Pepper, White Pepper, black pepper, garlic, ginger and salt to season the vegetables. Mix together and cook for 2min
5. Add cooked rice and stir to mix thoroughly, cook for a min or two, correct seasoning if needed and serve.
REMEMBER OTHERS WHO MAY BE ALONE
This holiday is really geared to couples – and I want to suggest that you also included others- reach out for someone who may be alone. An elderly neighbor, or someone who has been recently widowed or divorced, someone who is ill and can surely use a lift. It is amazing how a call, a card, a little plant such as a yellow primrose , a pink or red cyclamen, or forced-bulb lavender hyacinth or tulip, will make everyone feel a little better! Most of these treats are under $5.00, but think of the joy that someone will get by this unexpected gesture of love.
AND REMEMBER THE KIDS…
Not just with candy but also with a hand-written card, a lunch out together, making a Valentine’s craft such as construction paper and doily hearts to put in the windows, making cupcakes and decorating with all those yummy red candies and icing. Make some time to do this now because they are out on their own all too quickly.
Happy Valentine’s Day